Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sretan Put

June 13, 2009

We were getting picked up around 10 am, so we decided to get up early and have one last breakfast together with Adelita, Maja, and Pega at the local restaurant. As we were walking there, Nemanja and Damir surprised us! They were also going to join us for breakfast.

Damir is a really talented artist, as I've said before, and he made individual cards for all of us. They were yellow cards with a hand drawn tree on the front, signed by him on the back. We all sat down, ordered a drink, and began writing notes in each other's cards. We wrote our names at the top, and passed them around the table.

I still have my card today, hanging up in my room, and I'm so thankful to Damir for the idea - it's really nice to have a little personal reminder of everyone, and words of encouragement as well, hanging on my wall.

We spent a few minutes writing in each other's cards





Words can't express the love I have for that small town of Gvozd and all the wonderful people I met there. I will forever be grateful for my opportunity to spend my time with such a great group of people.

To Maja and Pega - I know you know, but I really believe that you two are the most amazing and compassionate people I've ever met. You're both so driven to do what you can for Suncokret, your community, and Croatia at large, even when it means sacrificing your own needs. I'm so inspired by the both of you, and I'm so fortunate to have met you. I love and look up to you both very much. I can't imagine my volunteer experience without you guys!

To Adelita - We had a lot of good times, didn't we? Gvozd was a lot of fun with you - cooking, having discussions at night over tea and biscuits, and especially going to Topusko, waiting for the bus for hours, eventually to get rained on. Ha ha. I wish you all the best, and hope that I can see you again soon!

To Damir - I don't know if you'll ever see this, but thank you for all your hard work and dedication. You're an amazing artist, person, volunteer, and I hope you continue to make art throughout your life! I hope Luna is doing well! I wish you the best :)

To Ljubisa - Thanks for driving us to Karlovac and showing us around! I had a lot of fun in Gvozd and I'm glad you were a part of it.

To Sonja - Thank you for being so giving during our two weeks in Gvozd - I will never forget the cookout at your place - I had so much fun! I think we all did!

To Duda - Boy, do those kids love you at Suncokret! I feel like you were a second mom to all those kids, as well as us. Thank you for being so open and kind to us while we were there.

Without ALL of you, my experience in Gvozd and Suncokret would have been so different. You all are doing such a great thing, and I only wish you all the best.

Leaving Gvozd on the bus :(


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home